Free printable riddles with answers worksheets
Here are some more free PDF worksheets of printable riddles with answers. These activities help students with reading comprehension skills and they often have new vocabulary for them to learn. Once your class has completed one of the printables consider getting them to make their own riddles as a fun writing activity!
The first 2 handouts have picture clues to make them easier for beginners while the second 2 printables have no clues. You can always just cut the picture answers off the worksheets if you feel it makes them too easy.
The first worksheet’s printable riddles with answers are –
1 – What can run but never walks, has a mouth but never talks, has a head but never weeps, has a bed but never sleeps?
Answer = A river
2 – What has teeth but doesn’t bite?
Answer = A comb
3 – It doesn’t matter how little or how much I am used, you change me every month. What am I?
Answer = A calendar
4 – What is served but never eaten?
Answer = A tennis ball
5 – What has wheels and flies, but it is not a kind of aircraft?
Anser = A rubbish/garbage truck
6 – What has to be broken before it can be used?
Answer = An egg
7 – I am not alive, but I grow. I need air but I don’t have lungs. What am I?
Answer = Fire
8 – What comes down but never goes up?
Answer = Rain
9 – What has a head and a tail but no body?
Answer = A coin
10- What never becomes wetter the more it rains?
Answer = An ocean/sea
11- When I come up we go, When I go down we stay. What am I?
Answer = An anchor
12- What has been around for millions of years but is never more than a month old?
Answer = The moon
Printable riddles with answers worksheet 2
The riddles and answers on the above PDF are –
1 – I run all around a field but never move. What am I?
Answer = A fence
2 – I have many keys but no locks. I have space but no room. What am I?
Answer = A keyboard
3 – Where can you always find money when you want to?
Answer = A dictionary
4 – What never asks questions but is usually answered?
Answer = A door
5 – What sounds like a parrot and is orange?
Answer = A carrot
6 – What flies when its born, sits when its alive, and runs when its dead?
Answer = A snowflake
7 – What has an eye but cannot see at all?
Answer = A needle
8 – How do you spell mousetrap by only using 3 letters?
Answer = C-A-T
9 – What has a neck but no head?
Answer = A bottle
10- Where can you find cities, shops, and streets but no people?
Answer = A map
11- What goes up and down without moving?
Answer = A staircase/stairs
12- What room can nobody ever go inside?
Answer = A mushroom
Printable riddles worksheet 1
The riddles with answers on the above sheet are –
- I am lighter than a feather but nobody can hold me for very long. What am I? Answer = Your breath.
- People like to make me, save me and change me. What am I? Answer = Money
- What loses its head in the morning but gets it back at night? Answer = A pillow
- I never ask any questions, but I am answered all the time. What am I? Answer = A door/doorbell/telephone.
- I occur once in every minute, twice in every moment, and yet not once in a thousand years. What am I? Answer = The letter M
- What has six faces and twenty-one eyes but cannot see? Answer= A dice
- What goes across countries, through cities, towns, and fields, but never moves? Answer = A road
- I have 13 hearts, but no brains or body. What am I? Answer = pack of cards
- What jumps when walking and sits when standing? Answer = A kangaroo
- What is heavy forwards but not backwards? Answer = Ton
- What do you bury when it is alive and dig up when it is dead? Answer = A plant
- What gets bigger the more you take from it? Answer = A hole
- What can go up a chimney when it is down but can’t go down a chimney when it is up? Anser = An umbrella
- A cowboy rode into town on a Friday and rode out 2 days later on Friday. How was this possible? Answer = The cowboy’s horse was named Friday.
- A window cleaner was working on a 20 storey building. He slipped and fell off his ladder, but wasn’t hurt. How was this possible? Answer = He fell off the bottom rung/step of the ladder
Printable riddles worksheet 2
On this worksheet the riddles with answers are –
- The one who makes it, sells me. The one who buys me, never uses me. The one that uses me never knows that he’s using me. What am I? Answer = A coffin
- What can you hold in your left hand but never hold in your right? Answer = Your right elbow/hand
- I come from underground and get surrounded by wood when I come up. Everyone uses me. What am I? Answer = A pencil
- The more you have of me, the less you see. What am I? Answer = Darkness
- What walks on four legs in the morning, two legs at noon and three legs in the evening? Answer = A person
- I have married many times, but am always single. Who am I? Answer = A priest
- Which word becomes shorter after you add 2 letters to it? Answer = Short
- What do letter T and islands have in common? Answer = The are both surrounded by water
- Who can shave everyday but always have a beard in the morning? Answer = A barber
- What has six feet, two mouths, and four ears? Answer = A man riding a horse
- I often run but I have no legs. I don’t need you but you need me. What am I? Answer = Water
- What thing starts with T, ends in T, and has “T” in it? Answer = Teapot
- What can you put in an empty pocket and it still be empty? Answer = A hole
- When can you add 2 to 11 and arrive at 1? Answer = On a clock